Those businesses offering financial services in the UK that also advertise on Facebook and Instagram will soon need to provide Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) authorisation to continue advertising.
Meta – the parent company of Facebook and Instagram, along with other platforms such as WhatsApp – recently emailed UK advertisers to inform them of this new requirement. According to the email, this requirement is being rolled out to prevent advertisers from committing impersonation and fraud within their ads.
So, what do businesses need to do?
Any businesses involved in financial services will need to inform Meta of their FCA firm registration number, along with a method of contact for their business. Meta has stated that this information will not be shared with any other parties, and that it is simply for the purpose of allowing ads to continue running without any interruptions. Once a business confirms its authorisation by the FCA, this will be applied to all ad accounts owned by that business.
How to confirm the FCA authorisation
If you currently advertise on Meta platforms, you should have received the email from Meta titled “Confirm your FCA authorization to run financial ads”. Within this, there’s a link that will take you to the page to confirm your authorisation:
If you haven’t received this email, you can:
1. Go to https://business.facebook.com/adsmanager/manage/accounts
2. Ensure that the correct ad account is selected in the top left-hand corner, in the dropdown next to ‘Account overview’
3. On the right-hand side, click ‘Get started’ under the ‘Confirm your FCA authorization’ heading:
Meta has provided further information on why this authorisation is required and how to authorise an account here, on its Business Help Centre.
If you need help with advertising on Facebook or you’d like to learn how it could benefit your business, sign up to our free online Facebook Ads Masterclass here or get in touch to discuss our Facebook Ads management packages.
- Why should you set up an email welcome sequence? - November 30, 2023
- Three top techniques to triumph with time management - November 17, 2023
- I’ve got a website, what next? A basic marketing funnel - October 25, 2023