YouTube has announced that its terms of service are going to be updated, with these changes officially coming into effect on January 5th, 2022.
Many users will have received an email from YouTube last week telling them of the upcoming tweaks, and giving them an insight into what is changing on the platform.
YouTube promises that the changes won’t affect the way people use the video sharing site, but says the main updates will include:
– An update to the Changes to the Service section within the terms of service, which will be renamed to ‘Develop, Improve and Update the Service’. The has been done to help make the title more relevant to the content in that section.
– Adding YouTube’s Community Guidelines “strikes” process within the terms to give more transparency about warnings issues to channels that have broken the YouTube Community Guidelines.
– Providing more transparency within the Account Suspension and Termination section of the terms. Some of the information will be removed from here as it is now covered by the new ‘Develop, Improve and Update the Service’ section.
– Moving some of the information around into more relevant sections to help make the terms easier to understand, including transferring any information about downloadable software from YouTube (such as the YouTube Studio application) to the new ‘Develop, Improve and Update the Service’ section, which now gives you more information about when automatic updates are required.
These latest updates are unlikely to affect your general experience on the platform, but can be helpful to make YouTube policies easier to understand and will help creators on the platform to create content in compliance the YouTube policies.
At Engage Web, we offer digital marketing services to businesses who want to improve their presence online by developing effective digital marketing strategies, including video. To find out more and to discuss our services, have a chat with our team.
- Key takeaways from Google’s latest search reviews update - November 10, 2023
- Mobile-first indexing: what is it, and why has it taken so long? - November 3, 2023
- Google updates structured data understanding - October 31, 2023