Google My Business, or GMB, is a great tool that allows a profile of sorts about your company to appear on the right-hand side when people perform a Google search for your business.
However, many people do not realise that they can publish ‘updates’ to their GMB listing. Doing this acts as a sort of social media-style platform.
If you want to learn how to post to your GMB account, here’s our step-by-step guide:
1. First, you’ll need to sign into the Google account associated with your Google My Business listing. Then, do a Google search for ‘Google business’.
2. Select the option called ‘Google My Business – Drive Customer Engagement on Google’ from the search results. It should be the first result.
3. You will see the following screen. Click either of the blue buttons that say ‘Manage now’.
4. You will now be taken to a screen that shows all the GMB accounts managed by the email address you are logged into. Scroll down and find the account you wish to post on.
5. When you find the account, there are three icons. One is to update your business details (the pencil), one is to upload an image (the camera) and one is to create a post. Select the third option, ‘Create post’ – this is indicated by an icon of a piece of paper with a ‘+’ in the corner.
6. A pop-up box to create your post will now appear. First, select the type of post you wish to publish from the options at the top of the pop-up box. These include ‘COVID-19 update’, ‘Offer’ and ‘What’s new’. For a general post, click ‘What’s new’. This will allow you to include text and a video or image.
7. Type or paste in your text into the ‘Write your post’ box. You can make the box bigger by dragging using the dots in the bottom right-hand corner of the text box.
8. To add an image or video, click the ‘Add photos or videos’ button at the top.
9. Another pop-up box will appear titled ‘Select a file’. To add an image from your computer, select the blue button in the middle of the boxed titled ‘Select photos and videos from your computer’. Once you have selected your image, click ‘Upload photos or videos’ in the bottom left-hand corner.
If the image is already uploaded, click the ‘Albums’ tab in the left-hand corner and select the appropriate image.
10. Once your image is uploaded and your text is pasted in, you have the option to add a call-to-action (CTA) button. To do so, select the appropriate CTA from the drop-down menu titled ‘Add a button (optional)’ and paste in the desired link in the ‘Link for your button’ box that will appear.
11. You have the option to preview your post by clicking ‘Preview’ in the bottom left-hand corner. Once you are happy with it, click ‘Publish’ in the bottom right-hand corner of the box.
12. Your post will now appear as an update on the GMB account. To check the post has published successfully, you can type in the name of your business into Google and scroll down to find the ‘Updates’ section of the GMB listing. The most recent post should appear here, and potential customers will now be able to see your updates.
Using GMB is a great way for people to find your business. Making sure your business information is accurate and up to date is vital, and posting regular updates helps boost your online presence and can help drive engagement. If you want to learn more about making the most of your GMB listing, and of your presence online as a whole, get in touch with the team at Engage Web today.