Facebook wields banhammer for rival social network

Posted on November 13, 2015


Shortly after promising to end the spam generated by Candy Crush Saga, Facebook is once again tackling the problem. This time, however, it’s for another social media site.

The offending platform is Tsu.co, which recruits members by invite only, and works on the idea that any ad revenue is shared among its users. However, it became the wellspring of a huge amount of spam directed at Facebook users, so its URL is now verboten on the biggest social network on the web.

Typing “Tsu.co” at any point on Facebook, Facebook Messenger or Instagram will result in an error message informing the user that the comment will not be posted.

The problem seems to be caused by Tsu’s method of generating revenue, which rewards its members for how much content they share. The company pockets 10 per cent of all ad revenue that is generated by user content, with the remaining 90 per cent split among the users who invited the person who generated the content. In other words, it works in a very similar way to a pyramid scheme.

Facebook says that the site encourages “spammy behaviour”, which is a violation of its terms and conditions. Speaking to website Mashable, a spokesperson said:

“We require all websites and apps that integrate with Facebook to follow our Platform Policy.

“We do not allow developers to incentivize content sharing on our platform because it encourages spammy sharing and creates a bad experience for people on Facebook.”


0345 621 4321

Call Now Button

Who Engage Web has helped:

Ice Lolly Minuteman Press BUNZLGS1 UK The Underfloor Heating Store West Cheshire Athletic Club Thomas Cook MWB Business ExchangeWeb Media 360 D2 Architects Beacon Financial Training Steely ProductsBurlydam Garden Centre Asentiv BodyHQ Clever Vine Endeavour Mortgages Pro Networks Comm-Tech Wickers World Ascot Mortgages Top Teks
TEL: 0345 621 4321